måndag 6 juni 2011

SKJF, a very special weekend in Lausanne

It's truly amazing what energy 1100 children and young people can gather when they meet to sing together and for each other. Lausanne just did their big youth choir festival, SKJF (pronounced "skif") this weekend. I'm back home again, tired and happy and full of vibrant memories.
Gunnar Eriksson and I did 2 workshops on Friday with 500 children/young singers each time. Gunnar is introducing his work of choir ad lib.

Lausanne Beaulieu, where the SKJF event took place.


That bar in Beaulieu with nice coffé became one of my favourite meeting spots. Also the spot for the one and only lindy hop session of the weekend. I never go anywhere without my dance shoes...and music from a cell phone can do when the need for dance is great. Coffé tastes the best when so much happiness is in the air.


The children have endless energy, constantly singing and playing on the free time, and it was not much free time of the day schedule. This game below starts with an acro/air step reminding me of lindy hop.


Friday night we were on three boats, all of us, children and staff and leaders of SKJF. What a success! For me it was a surprice that we all were invited to that boat trip on the lake. The kids really got into a spin, singing and doing "the wave".

Lake Geneva surrounded by Alps. It was breathtaking.







Sunset on the boat.

On Saturday there was rehersals and another workshop with Gunnar and me for a group of Swizz choir leaders. On our small free time we walked the sunny streets of Lausanne, listening to the choirs performing in the squares and corners all over Lausanne center. See that girl playing with a ball on the street behind the choir?


Our big concert in the Cathedral, Saturday aftersoon. 1100 young people and children filling the space with their beautiful voices. It was amazing. I got tears in my eyes hearing them singing Magnificat as second piece. Gunnar lead the children in one of his carachteristic improvisations around some swiss and swedish folksongs and I joined in with my songs. What a special moment, I'm very thankful to be a part of this unique happening of sounds and songs under the cathedrals high and bright space. It's a sharing of voice and souls that rarely can be found. Just organizing a choir festival is a huge effort. Thank you everyone in the SKJF bringing us together!

Outside the Cathedral right afterwards our musical journey:



Singers, choir leaders, staff and parents, wish you a wonderful June and rest of the summer. Be proud of who you are, keep up the singing, connect and embrace in voice and music.

Eva

2 kommentarer:

  1. Personally I have never heard about this event before so it was really interesting to read it and to know something attractive and new.

    SvaraRadera
  2. I think the SKJF is happening every second year, and from time to time in new cities. I hope to join and work there again sometime in the future.

    SvaraRadera