tisdag 7 februari 2012

Miner's Hymns Movie, by Bill Morrison

I've seen the movie Miner's Hymns. Mostly attracted about how GIFF wrote about the film in the booklet: it's really worth seeing for the music. I was expecting some folklore mining songs, but oh what a surprice! And a good surprice!

New compsed music by Jóhann Jóhannsson (Iceland) - contemporary music. Powerful, full of dignity, giving the respect to the mining community of Durham who film director Bill Morrison has portrayed so fine. A tribute to the miners union. Black and white documentary film clips are here put together and created a more emotional kind of documentary than a pure historical.



Check this: http://www.dn.se/kultur-noje/skivrecensioner/johann-johannsson-the-miners-hymns

Today I'm a bit ill, just an ordinary cold, but with fever. Ok, I have to let this pass before I work as usual again. But I can't stop it, I'm so busy with gathering, compiling, structuring all songs, info about the songs for my up coming songbook. Some short texts is going to give the frame arund my selection of songs and I re-write, work on the texts almost every day now. I'm just a little slowed down by this cold in the writing flow of this book.
What is the theme of the book?
It's love songs and wedding songs. A great theme, I've been collecting songs for about 15 years.
After my period of miners songs and union songs I now want to do something that has a great deal of party in it. I mean, mining songs will always be with me, but life is full of party also.

Eva

1 kommentar:

  1. Moved by the skilled mixing of photos/pictures and music.
    Made me remember a task not fulfilled: finding who sampled sound from the Falu mine, putting it into a composition. Swedish Radio P2. Maybe at "Monitor" or "Art´s birthday"?

    SvaraRadera