torsdag 31 januari 2013

Yippie GIFF Yippie!



Göteborg Film Festival, GIFF

GIFF is a highlight in wintertime for me. Something to look forward to every year. I love to go to a couple a movies and have a "window" to places elsewhere, situations and lifestyles I couldn't imagine before. And I love to catch a glimpse of the daily life ordinary heroes. To me they are the true heroes.

Today I could have my fill of that,  to get a little glimpse of what it is to be in an emergency unit in Sofia, capital of Bulgaria. How do they cope? How do they get through the day? What do they feel sitting in that ambulance on bumpy roads, in traffic jam? They are working way behind the clock as the cases pile up and the inter com system has broken down.

The three main caracters, playing themselves in this documentary movie, are nurse Mila Mikhailova, driver Plamen Slavkov, and doctor Krassimir "Krassi" Yordanov.
I give this movie high scores! It's taking me right in there, in the middle of their story, like if I was a fly on the wall in the front seat in that ambulance.

Sofia's last ambulance (2012, Bulgaria)

"In a city where 13 ambulances struggle to serve 2 million people, Krassi, Mila and Plamen are our unlikely heroes: chain-smoking, filled with humour, relentlessly saving lives against all odds. Yet, the strain of a broken system is taking a human toll: how long can they keep fixing society's injured until they lose their empathy? Written by Betina Ip  "






Yesterday I saw Smokin' Fish (2011, Alaska).

Smokin' Fish movie is full of scenery, mountains, lakes, rivers, beauty of nature. Very good soundtrack to all the goodies for my eye. But most of all, a very good story. A documentary about Cory Mann, a Tlingit Nation member, who grew up with his aunts and grand mother and great grand mother in remote parts of Alaska. Smoking fish in traditional way is the center of the story and out from it I learn quite a lot about the view of life this people have, ancient traditions, ways of living. With lots of humour the different members of the family (so fantastic persons they couldn't be found in a fiction movie) give their story, wich also includes many tragic points of the hardships coming along with european culture invading. Of course I want to learn as much as I can now in the days of Idle No More rising. It breaks my heart to hear how cruel we europeans have treated natives. And like much my heart rejoice when I learn that their lifestyle and culture is rising, and it's now up to western "civilization" to take a seat, listen and learn.





Eva

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar